Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Sponsor - Botanical Bird!



Store Bio:

Botanical Bird is a fun little shop, full of handmade nature inspired jewelry pieces, where you will find unique and vintage style designs using birds, bees, butterflies and more, along with vintage lockets and lovely wedding designs. Custom jewelry design requests are always welcome.

All the jewelry is handmade by Cyd Colbert. " I have been an artist since I was a young child and am mostly self taught. So far my mediums have been watercolor painting, glass and tile mosaics, floral design and my current passion, designing jewelry".

My studio is located in a lovely green forested area of Portland, Oregon, where I derive inspiration from the hundreds of lush flowers, plants and trees and of course the many species of beautiful birds. I hope that you will stop by and peruse my little store and maybe even find that special piece just for you.



1. What inspires you to come up with new designs?

Lots of things really, but I would say mostly all things botanical especially flowers. I spent six years working as a floral designer, though my love of flowers began as a child, yep, I am totally and utterly amazed by them.



2. How long have you been creating?

I guess since the age of about four or five, I've always loved to draw and paint and I did that from a very young age.



3. Where do you do your work? Do you have a dedicated area of your home, or?

I have a studio in my home where I make my jewelry, I also make tile and glass mosaic pieces and once in awhile I do some watercolor paintings as well.




4. Tell us about a goal you have for your business


To enjoy the process of creating as much as possible, and of course be able to support myself in the process.



5. What is your favorite album

Too many to name, though one did just pop into my head, well actually 3 or 4 did, but I will say one that I love for sure is "song to a seagull" by Joni Mitchell, recorded in the sixties, I believe it was her first album, and she recorded it in her mid twenties. She wrote all of the music and lyrics, I think she is an amazing artist.



6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Creating art in some form or another and possibly relocating to a sunnier location, though I love Portland, I do feel that the sun has been beckoning me the past year or so.



7. What is your favorite thing to do on a weekend?

Mostly take time to relax, or go for a walk, or go to the local outdoor farmers market



8. Tell us about a new skill you'd like to learn

I'd love to start doing clay sculptures, and hope to start doing so in the next couple of years



9. Where do you source new inspiration?

By spending time in my garden and spending time outdoors. Watching birds and animals, going to the forest or the beach, the natural world is inspiration to me.




1 comment:

That Girl Shelley said...

Great piece! I love hearing about what inspires people to create!