Howkapow is a colourful online shop featuring unique work from new and independent designers. Opened in December 2010 by young husband-and-wife team, Rog and Cat How, it supports and promotes emerging designers with a stand-out, smile-inducing style. More info here!
1. What inspires you to come up with new designs?
I love bold, geometric forms and so am heavily inspired by Art Deco but also by powerful (slightly loopy!) women like Grace Jones. Colour is also hugely important in my work, and I get a lot of inspiration by going to galleries. I just saw a Joan Miro exhibition at the Tate in London this week and it was amazing.
2. How long have you been creating?
Since around 2004. I started out making earrings from old buttons, records and camera film and it's just gone on from there...
3. Where do you do your work? Do you have a dedicated area of your home, or?
We have a studio in our home where we work from. I have a work bench alongside my desk so I can swivel round and put together jewellery and orders when they come through.
4. Tell us about a goal you have for your business
Our shop is online at the moment, but we really want to open up a gallery space where we can sell our products as well as exhibit the work of jewellers and illustrators.
5. What is your favorite album?
Anything by Toots & The Maytals.. we had 'Funky Kingston' as our wedding song.
6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Owning a shop and gallery space in Bristol, UK and an organic fruit farm!
7. What is your favorite thing to do on a weekend?
In this order: lie in, read the paper in bed then go out for breakfast. Meet friends, go to an artist market, have a chilled glass of Viognier and then home to have a bath and watch a movie. Bliss!
8. Tell us about a new skill you'd like to learn
Playing the theramin or speaking Italian. I also really want to learn how to sew! Shocking, but my husband Rog darns all the socks in our household!
you could win this looovely pink necklace!
Visit Howkapow and pick your fave item, and leave it in a comment.
To qualify for additional entries you can..
2. Follow @Howkapow on twitter
3. Like Howkapow on Facebook!
4. Blog about this giveaway (3 extra entries, leave 3 comments)
5. Follow this blog on GFC
6. Follow Papercakes on Twitter
7. Put my button in your sidebar
8. Tweet this giveaway - Say: Awesome necklace giveaway from @howkapow and @papercakes #win #giveaway http://bit.ly/npHhLJ
9. Like Paper*Cakes on Facebook
10. Share this giveaway in your FB status
11. Follow the Howkapow Blog
Closes August 2nd