Tuesday, February 22, 2011

An Interview with Agnes of Knock Knocking







I am 26 year-old Agnes Blum living right outside of Austin, Texas. It is a place where music is always playing and the iced tea tastes sweeter. I reside in our new home with my husband, toddler daughter Abby-Sue and baby Robbie due in the spring. I was born and raised in Ojai, California, a little valley nestled at the feet of the Topa Topa Mountains abounding with creative energy and artistic souls. I tumbled up in a large family; a middle child in a home filled with thrifted treasures and handmade curtains. It was at college where I met and eventually married the love of my life and Texas native, Justin. I have been active in color theory, design and art from a very young age and continue to grow and learn even as I teach. Art isn't something I do because I want to, I do it because I it is the largest part of who I am.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnockKnocking
http://knockknockingblog.blogspot.com/
@knockknocking



1. What inspires you to come up with new designs?

Color is perhaps my greatest creative inspiration. I see combinations of hues everywhere which give me new ideas for designs so I carry a note book with me since I never know when a creative idea might happen that I will need to jot down and explore at a later time.



2. How long have you been creating?


I first started crafting and exploring my artistic side in a ceramic studio when I was about 6 years old and officially began private art lessons when I was 10. The rest is history and I have either studied or taught art ever since, sometimes at the same time.



3. Where do you do your work? Do you have a dedicated area of your home, or?

I work from my home in a walk in closet that I converted into my own little studio. It is snug but organized and one of my favorite past times is to squirrel myself away inside with a good book on cd and a cup of spicy tea and create until my fingers hurt.



4. Tell us about a goal you have for your business

I am constantly reinventing my business; figuring out what is working and what is not and staying in tune with myself about what I enjoy making at any given time. My goal for my business is obviously to grow but in a way which constantly challenges and excites me as well.



5. What is your favorite album?

That is a tough one! Perhaps my favorite go to album over the years would be Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. Theirs were the first melodies I learned to play on my 12 string when I was in high school and they have comforted me and stuck with me ever since.



6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

A woman with a super-model's body and fully decorated home of course! But seriously, I think just doing what I love to do, working with color and clients and taking care of my babies.



7. What is your favorite thing to do on a weekend?

I love to head downtown for some live music, fresh food and vintage shopping. There is just nothing like it to relax and get your creative juices flowing!



8. Tell us about a new skill you'd like to learn

Oil paints have always scared me. They seem messy and complex so of course I need to conquer them!




No comments: